Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Needs

I gave blood recently and was struck with the realization as to how dependent humans are on each other for this necessity of life. Scientists can't manufacture artificial blood. Hospitals don't stock pigs blood. Humans are dependent on the selfless acts of others who endure a small pain and inconvenience.

I enjoyed thinking about my gift to someone. My blood could help save a life. Yeah, the needle pinches and burns, but only for a minute. Yes, I had to answer what seemed like 95 questions. Yes, it took about an hour of my time. And yes, they wouldn't let me leave until I consumed super-sugary juice and nutter butter cookies. But if that's all the complaints I've got...it's so worth it. I've known many people who say, "oh, I'll never give blood again, because the one time I did, I got dizzy and nauseous." Seriously. That's all you got?? My husband doesn't donate blood because he had leukemia as a child. He would love to, but can't.

Acts 4:34 says: "There were no needy persons among them." Wouldn't it be great to be able to say, there are no needs, all needs are met. Everywhere we look we see needs. Blood, food, friendship, kind words, a helping hand. We are the answer to those needs. Yes, sometimes, it's not easy and may cause some personal discomfort or inconvenience. But Jesus met our greatest need for a savior, enduring the most extreme pain and discomfort. God did not create us to be selfish, absorbed, hard-shelled individuals only concerned for ourselves and those in out little bubble. Our lives are to be richly intertwined with one another, reflecting and acting like Christ.

I'm not telling everyone to give blood. I know there are circumstances that prevent donation. But I am encouraging you to commit selfless acts that aid, comfort, and assist others. Step outside your comfort zone once in a while...you may be pleasantly surprised by what God can use you for.

No comments: