Thursday, April 22, 2010

Preparing for Orange

With a small team of people from Oak Leaf church, next week I am heading to the Orange Conference, a kid-ministry extravaganza (www.theorangeconference.com). In addition to an amazing list of speakers and musicians, I'll be attending four breakout groups that will give me specialized information on areas of kids ministry. I am really looking forward to next week.

Before I leave, I'll be sitting down with my husband to create a list to all the comings-and-goings that he'll have to oversee while I am gone. I know he can handle it. He's my Superman. :)

The other thing I am doing before heading to Orange is try to think through what some things I'd like to walk away from it with are. I've picked up a new journal. (I love new journals!) I've begun recording a jumble of thoughts. I am a note-taker, a quote-jotter, and a doodler-while-I listener. I think that half of what I learn from Orange will be later on as I as review and mull through my writings.

Here's a few things I am looking forward to:
  • meeting others like me! Admit it, kids ministry volunteers are a little goofy, and I can't wait to bask in the fun.
  • the ideas! People from churches of all sizes, budgets, & needs will be there. I hope to hear how they may be adapting 252basics (our curriculum) to their own situations.
  • bonding with the others going. Even just the road trip will be an experience! (did I mention I get carsick?)
  • making connections with people that I can share ideas with in the future.
  • getting away :) Yes, I am excited to sleep in a hotel.
  • worship. there is nothing like thousands of voices raised to the heavens in praise! gives me goosebumps just thinking of it.
  • growing closer to God. it's so true that we can be inspired and drawn closer to Him through experiences like this.
  • sharing stories. we all have them. the kid who got stuck in the movie-theater chair. the child who asked, "who am i really, inside of my heart?". The time i sat in a puddle of who-knows-what and had wet jeans for the rest of the service. The day you watch one of your students get baptized. It's these touching, quirky, spirit-filled moments, that create great stories, and I can't wait to hear them.
I am so blessed to have this opportunity...Yes, I am looking forward to growing at Orange 2010!

No comments: