Friday, April 29, 2011

Understanding

1 Corinthians 1:18: 
"The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to those who are being saved it is the power of God."
1 Corinthians 1:25:
"The foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength."

It doesn't make sense. It's hard to comprehend. But salvation is not dependent on our comprehension. We are called to have faith...not in what we can not fully understand or comprehend but faith in God - the creator of the entire universe who, out of His great love for us, sent His only Son to the cross to defeat death.

Foolish? In our eyes. Incomprehensible? Quite certainly to our puny brains. Amazing? Definitely. Humbling? Oh yeah. How can we not fall on our knees at just a tiny glimpse of the knowledge that God loves us too much to leave us where we are...alone and in sin.

I'm not an intellectual. I don't understand a lot of things about God and the Bible and His ways. I learn more and more as the Holy Spirit reveals, but even after all these years, I've only just grasped the tip of the iceberg. But the beauty of it is: my lack of knowledge and understanding does not cause me to turn away. It causes me to lean in and crave more because of the reality that there is so much more to gain knowledge of my God and my Savior, Jesus.

No comments: