Friday, April 3, 2009

Thinking About Praying

Honestly...I think I spend more time thinking about what I should pray about than actually praying.
Throughout the day, I pray at various times, but in retrospect I also see myself making a mental to-pray list: "I need to make sure I pray for so-and-so, and about such-and-such, and thank God for this-and-that..."
Why do I do this rather than just pray? Why do I feel the need to organize my prayers before talking to God? He doesn't care what my prayers sound like, or if they are in a specific order, or if I use lots of fancy, Christian prayer lingo. And maybe that's it for me. Gulp. Maybe there's a part of me that is selfish about prayer. I need to focus on just talking to God and having a conversation with Him. This is the relationship that Jesus wants with us. He wants to know us and us to know Him...how awesome is that? we have a God who desires to be in relationship with us...

No comments: