Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Blitz

Something that I have carried from my childhood into my life with a family now, is the Blitz-a rapid, everyone pitches in, cleaning frenzy, that lasts for a short amount of time.

I have many memories of Scott-family blitzes, with my parents setting the egg timer for 5 or 10 minute spans, where we all ran around the house picking up every possible thing that was out of place.

Today, with the active lives of my family, sometimes our house gets out of control (insert shock and surprise). Yet everyone in the house knows what it means when we call for a blitz and everyone chips in. Mail and papers get sorted, shoes get picked up, books find homes on shelves, blankets and pillows neatly return to the couches, dishes get loaded into the dishwasher, virtually every surface gets tidied up.

This isn't about cleaning as much as it is about everybody chipping in and picking up. At a quick pace, a great impact can be made...perfect for a family on the go.

No comments: