Thursday, May 27, 2010

Not right now God

I was reading in James this morning and came across 4:17. It says: "Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins."

When we hold back from doing things the Spirit puts upon us- for His glory, not ours - it is sin.

I have identified times like these in my life where an almost audible voice inside of me prompts me to pick up the phone and call someone or go and open up the Bible. For whatever earthly, selfish reasons, I have ignored the Holy Spirit. My excuses my have sounded like this: "that phone call has the potential to be way too long, and I just don't have time for that right now," or, "my bed feels so good, I can read the Bible later."

This is sin. It is ignoring God. Yikes! Of course it's a sin to ignore the creator, our savior, the alpha & omega -beginning and end. How selfish and disgusting of us to think our personal agendas can even begin to measure up in importance to His plan!

Oh, and the missed opportunities to bless others and be blessed! When I live in obedience, according to His will, not mine, I may make that phone call just as a friend is feeling stressed beyond relief, and may be the blessing God intended for me to be. In obedience, I have been blessed with joy in times of sadness, with peace in times of stress, and with love in times of anger.

Do you hear that still, small voice calling? Take heed, and listen. But, "do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourself, do what it says." James 1:22

No comments: